To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3PM PDT, subscribe here,
Good morning, you are a wonderful specimen of humanity! It’s Friday, and I’m writing this from a hammock in my sunny North Oakland garden, so life isn’t so bad. (I can only assume that WFH stands for Work From Hammock).
This weekend, set aside a little time to apply to our Startup Battlefield 200. It gives you a chance to showcase your startup on TechCrunch Disrupt in October for free and win a $100,000 prize. Applications are nearing August 5th, so get cracking!
Have a nice one, and see you next week! , hodges
TechCrunch Top 3
Startups and VCs
Going, going, going is everything in the world of insurance. Mary Ann reports that Lemonade acquired Metromile and immediately laid off about 20% of its employees. Understandable, of course, in a world where there’s probably a fair amount of administrative and operational overlap between the two companies, but it’s always sad to say goodbye to dear colleagues.
and don’t miss ariaAn excerpt from how the Exploration Company is developing a new reusable orbital spacecraft. “The [space] The exploration ecosystem is probably going to change dramatically over the next 10 to 15 years,” explained co-founder and CEO Helen Huby. “If you do that, you have a huge advantage of being one of the first to market It happens.”
A few more nuggets to take you through the weekend:
- enjoy everything: A startup is charging $1.99 to write a string to feed into a platform like DALL-E, and I’m disappointed for humanity. Come on, that’s half the fun! no thanks at all Kelly To water me with confused anger this afternoon. jerk.
- Rain is reducing in AfricaZcrest Capital, a firm known for its debt and equity capital market investments but which has recently begun dabbling in venture investing, has raised a $10 million fund for African startups aimed at pre-Series A stage companies. “Emergency Fund” has been launched. fresh Report.
- Driving lessons for industrial vehiclesPolymath Robotics launched to bring plug-and-play autonomy software to any industrial vehicle, Kirsten Report.
- the more you learn: You know what, I’ve never read a single Devin article that didn’t let me go, “Huh! I didn’t know that!” Today, Shinkei Systems’ AI-guided fish harvesting robot gave me that moment of joy.
All my apes are gone: The legal dispute at the intersection of IP and NFT
When Andy Warhol appropriated the images of Campbell’s Soup in 1962, he was lucky: For a variety of reasons, the company decided not to sue him for infringement of its trademark.
One wonders what the situation would have been like 60 years later if Warhol had produced a series of NFTs with the iconic soup label.
In her latest TC+ post, CORPlaw founder Kristen Korpion examines “the most interesting and important IP legal issues currently affecting the creation, transfer, and use of NFTs,” trademark infringement, first sale doctrine and Seth Why did Green pay? $100,000 premium to buy back his stolen bored monkey.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams grow. You can sign up here,
Big Tech Inc.
It’s never going to make you give up. It will try to never let you down. It probably won’t run around and leave you. But TikTok is considering a music service, reports Ayesha And Ivan In an article that unfortunately falls short of the mandatory quota of musical sentences. Don’t worry guys, I’ll talk to him about this.
During this, Annie After reports that Kenya is considering ban-hammering Facebook, the country’s National Cohesion and Integration Commission found that the social media platform is not sufficient to address hate speech.
- Is multimedia coming to Twitter?: Looks like the social media platform is testing that, allowing you to post images, videos and GIFs in a single tweet, Ivan Report.
- We don’t need your flashy ads: Roku misses the mark on its quarterly results, and blames the advertising slowdown for coming short, lauren Report.
- Bank balances go down, stocks go upAmazon reported its earnings and lost $2 billion. Looks like the Stonks like that sort of thing, as the share price soared, reports lauren,
- Special price for you. For you, it’s doubleTwitter Blue price hikes from $2.99 to $4.99 per month, report Ivan,
- Where Do You Take Someone After a “Peekaboo” Accident? for ICU: Instagram pretty much copied BeReal for its dual camera feature, but missed a few along the way, AMANDA telling.
- Is there anything they can’t do?: video memes, maybe music soon (see above) and now TikTok begins testing HTML5 minigames with a handful of partners, Sarah Report.