If you’re an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscriber, you can use Apple’s iCloud Music Library. This feature allows you to sync your music library to up to 10 Apple devices, as long as you’re logged into the same iCloud account. But there are many reasons why you might not want to sync your tunes with iCloud Music Library. In this article, I discuss why – and explain how you can disable it if you wish.
While convenient, iCloud Music Library has its own set of features. That’s because it matches and replaces songs or albums already on your device with a higher-quality version from the Apple Music streaming library (if available). That process can mess up metadata, lose album art, and match it. wrong song, Users have also complained in forums about the feature being confusing and accidentally erasing files from their devices. And it also means that you are locked into listening to your music on Apple devices.
Another thing to keep in mind: iCloud Music Library is not the same thing as a backup of your offline files. That’s because, like most streaming services, Apple Music files are DRM encrypted, which means it’s tied to your Apple ID. So, even though you can build quite a library, you really don’t. My Any track—and it will be inaccessible if you ever choose to cancel your subscription.
If you bought a new iPhone, iPad, or Mac, iCloud Music Library syncing is enabled by default. For a lot of people, this isn’t really a big issue, and the convenience may outweigh the cons. But if you’ve spent years building your own music library or aren’t committed to keeping up with Apple Music for a long time, you can disable the feature from the start.
So, without further ado, here is how to stop iCloud Music Library from syncing across your devices.
You need to turn off the “Sync Libraries” toggle.
On your iPhone and iPad:
- go to Adjustment,
- scroll down and select music,
- tap sync library Toggle iCloud Music Library off.
- You will then be prompted with a warning that this will remove all Apple Music content and downloads from your iPhone music library.
- tap Stop it,
On your Mac:
- open Apple Music Application.
- In the top menu bar, select Like From music Menu.
- go to general tab,
- In the Library section, uncheck sync library,
- Click Ok,
On a PC:
- Open iTunes.
- to select Like From edit Menu.
- In General tab, unselected icloud music library, (You’ll only see this if you’re an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscriber.)
- Click Ok,
Photography by Victoria Song / The Verge